1- Important facts about Arthur Miller.
2- When was it written?
3- Historical and social context(Find information about Italian immigration to the USA after WW2)
-He was born in Harlem, New York in October 17th of 1915.
– His writing was influenced because he lived both wars.
– He is considered one of the greatest American playwrights of the 20th century.
– His father was a Polish and Jewish immigrant in the USA.
– His writing was much influenced by his childhood memories and by his political concerns about what he has to dealt with during the 1930s and the 1940s.
– He debuted in Broadway in 1944 with his writing play “The Man Who Had All The Luck”.
– In 1957, he was accused of being part of the communist party.
2- This book, was written on September 22nd of 1955 and published on September 29th of the same year.
3- Because of Mussolini’s death and the end of WW2, Italy entered in an economic depression. Because of this reason, almost 700,000 Italians decided to look for others opportunities and chances in starting their lives. This unreal amount of people, went to USA. As Arthur Miller, a lot of US people, had Italian relatives after this immigration.